Day 2, Wednesday, August 2, 2006

Henrietta, NY to Liverpool, NY
(89.3 miles) 5h 33m 13sec

Up at 5:15 AM, 5:45 continental breakfast at our Super 8 hotel - 2 bowls cold cereal, Danish, orange juice and coffee, 6:00 load luggage, 6:30 on the road.

Weather this morning was nice. It felt good to get on the road a half hour earlier than yesterday. We had to navigate a 1 mile detour at 5 miles out. It didn't cause a problem as we were told about it last night at route rap. At 18 miles we had to ride through 1.5 miles of construction. This was very dangerous as the road was reduced to one lane each way, just room for vehicles and no breakdown lane for us cyclists to ride in. A few cars did pass us but most chose not to. We were thankful for that. At around 10 AM the heat and humidity became oppressive, just like yesterday. SAG 1 was at 32 miles at "Bee Tee Ice Cream". Some cyclists thought that I got a bit carried away when I bought a jumbo soft serve ice cream. I tried to lift it up and put it on my bike rack so I could nibble on it as I rode the rest of today's route. I managed to get it on my rack but didn't have a bungee cord long and strong enough to secure it so I ate most of it and shared it with other cyclists. :)

SAG 2 was at 64 miles at a rest area. Dave and Jill met us there and in addition to our snack stuff, provided Mini Cheese Cakes and home made cookies. Jill had done the baking. Dave rode a earlier section of this ride from Casper, WY to Sioux Falls, SD. They live just down the road and wanted to connect up with us again. It was very nice and generous for them to do this. As you can see, Vivian liked the large cookie, we like to share. :)

The heat and humidity continued to get worse as the day progressed. Obviously we drank a lot and often. Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate! Toward the end of the day I was riding with Dana and Sarah, we got to Liverpool about 1 PM and stopped at "The Retreat" a nice Bar and Pub restaurant for lunch. I had a Reuben, 3 large glasses of water and 2 large cokes. They had special salads. Just about the time we finished, we could hear thunder outside. After we paid our bill we quickly went outside, got on our bikes (it was already raining with thunder and lightening getting closer) and raced the last 2 miles to our hotel, another Super 8. It was raining quite hard there, but we arrived just before the storm settled in. This storm had built up suddenly and took us by surprise.

Tonight's dinner is another "buffet" restaurant. I'm thinking that I might back off the main courses and concentrate on DESSERTS! :)

6:00 - rap

6:30 - dinner

Update: It was a Chinese buffet with a nice selection. I only had 2 flavors of real ice cream! :(

Wanna watch me eat this?

How many did I eat? 2, 4, 6 or 8?


Vivian and I like to share :)

 Back to August 1's journal

 Back to 2006 ride

 RFA Home

 On to August 3's journal!